What are the instructors credentials?
- Former Marine Corps Infantry Sergeant and Squad Leader: Lead, demonstrated and performed a similar exercise program daily for four years, rain or shine.
- Doctor of Chiropractic: Knowledge of anatomy and physiology inherent to exercise and well being, as well as principles of aerobic / anaerobic training and rehabilitation. Current topics in health will be discussed periodically.
What level of fitness should I possess?
If you can do 10 push ups (regular or on knees), hold a squatting position for 30 seconds with good form, jog a mile without collapsing, and perform such exercises as crunches or leg lifts to some degree … you’ll be fine. The goal is to improve our physical fitness, so no one is in too good or poor shape to participate. What you put in … you’ll get out.
Will there be yelling?
Yes, but none focused at you! We will all be yelling, calling the cadence and repetition. It may be performed to your tolerance, but it is an essential aspect of the program, as it enhances the cardiovascular workout, creates comradery, and discourages unnecessary yelling later in the day (i.e. at children, co-workers, that obnoxious brother-in-law). It’s healthy!
What type of exercises are done during the session?
- Calisthenics: The systematic practice of a various exercise with the object of preserving health and increasing functional physical strength.
- Plyometrics: Exercises designed specifically to train the eccentric contraction phase of a muscle’s action. These exercises are known to decrease the duration of muscular contraction and so impart great speed-strength, or power. These are rather aggressive exercises, and will be integrated once a baseline proficiency is attained by the group.
Are there any important points to remember?
- Water Bottle and Towel are recommended.
- Gloves and expendable workout gear are suggested.
- No music: The “sounding off” of the cadence and repetition will dictate the rate and rhythm or our workout, as well as the motivation level and exercise intensity.
- The effectiveness of military calisthenics lies in its simplicity: Basic full body exercise and stretches, no gimmicks, what you put in – you get out!
- As with any exercise regimen, consistency is the key, so please make the workouts and be on time
- An inspirational quote and accompanying cool-down will follow each work out.